Attempting to read the Bible can be intimidating. This is because we have the misconception that it’s too hard, too long, and we really don’t understand why we should. We think we are too busy, it’s not relevant, and it’s made up of stories that aren’t real. Most of all, we think it’s filled with a bunch of rules we must follow.
When it comes to attending a Bible study, we are afraid to participate. We think reading the whole thing is a prerequisite for participation. We think we have to actually own a Bible. We think behind those church doors are really smart people engaging in this high level conversation.
But none of that is true.
However, just a little over ten years ago, I was there. I believed in God and that Jesus died on the cross. I had faith. I wanted to start attending church regularly. I tried to be a good person
Wasn’t that enough?
Well the problem that I ran into once I started reading the Bible was…..
- I realized that prior, I didn’t know what it actually meant to be a follower of Christ?
- What I thought was good, ok, or not a big deal, did not line up with the Word of God.
- The “rules” were a protective covering that kept me feeling whole, loved, safe, and not lacking.
What I started to gain by reading the Bible….
- A personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- A desire to read the Bible out of enjoyment and not out of requirement.
- I started to feel alive and complete.
- It became my anchor in a storm.
- It gave me ability to heal, love, and forgive when I should naturally be bitter.
- Etc…..The list could go on forever.
Overall, it unlocked this whole new world that was better than before. Sure, life still happened. But, more and more instead of turning to outside solutions to make me feel good, I turned to my Bible.
It is the place where God guides me. It’s the place where He speaks to me. In there is the truth about life, circumstances, and choices.
Its the only place I can go that gives me peace, comfort, excitement, adventure, purpose, and an understanding of the condition of my heart.
I encourage you in 2018 to give it try. Journey with me, by reading a Proverb a day. It’s a great place to start and very applicable to everyday life.
Don’t be afraid. Be ready to be amazed.